Wednesday 15 January 2014

UFC Fight Night 35: Rockhold vs. Philippou Full Fight


FC Fight Night 35 took off live from Duluth, Ga., Wednesday evening, bringing a fight card stacked with interesting and entertaining matchups to the MMA faithful across the globe. Luke Rockhold scored his first win in the UFC. Now he wants to avenge his first UFC loss.Rockhold (11-2) scored a first-round knockout over Costas Philippou on Wednesday in the main event of UFC Fight Night 35 at the Gwinnett Center in Duluth, Ga. The finish came via a left kick to the body, which rendered Philippou helpless at the 2:31 mark.Immediately after the result was read, Rockhold called for a rematch with No. 1 contender Vitor Belfort, the man who knocked him out in his UFC debut in May. "I want my rematch with Vitor, and I would like it here in the states," Rockhold said. "I will go through anybody I have to to get that -- especially Michael Bisping. That would be nice." A former Strikeforce middleweight champion, Rockhold entered the fight as a 4-to-1 favorite thanks in no small part to his grappling advantages over Philippou. The American Kickboxing Academy product showed little interest in taking Philippou down, however. He stunned him early with a counter right hand to the chin, and then went to work on his right side with kicks.The good news is, the win over Philippou puts him back into the mix at 185 pounds, boosting his record to 11-2 overall with nine finishes. The bad news is, he doesn't really gain any traction in a weight class that boasts several top contenders. We know that Rockhold isn't getting Belfort, because the Brazilian earned a division title shot against reigning titleholder Chris Weidman, which is expected to take place over Fourth of July Weekend in Las Vegas, Nevada. And it would be difficult to put him above the winner of Lyoto Machida vs. Gegard Mousasi, who bang it out next month in Santa Catarina.In his UFC debut, last May, Rockhold was knocked out by Vitor Belfort with a spinning heel kick. Riding high after his win, Rockhold let it be known that he wants a rematch with "The Phenom," even if he has to beat up Michael Bisping first to get that chance."I'm here. I'm not here to be good, I'm here to be great," Rockhold began. "I want my rematch with Vitor. I would like it here in the States. I'll go through anyone I have to go through to get that, especially Michael Bisping."

No comments:

Post a Comment